It Syaa'ban already and Ramadhan is just around the corner. So, Mama Lina pun cari lah jugak tips2 nak menghadapi Ramadhan for breastfeeding mommies. I will be sharing with you some of the issues that worries mommies about fasting and breastfeeding. This is my first time breastfeeding during fasting. Buckle up mommies! Let's prepare our self. MENTAL and PHYSICAL.
Issue 1 : Will fasting while I am breastfeeding harm my baby?
Your baby will not be harmed, because you will be able to keep up milk production while you are fasting. Cutting your intake of calories should make no difference to the amount of milk you produce.
This is because your body adapts by changing the way it uses the available calories, and makes up for a lack of food or fluid by becoming better at releasing energy.
Issue 2 : Will my baby be affected by changes in my breast milk?
Your baby is unlikely to be affected by the changes in your breast milk. He will be used to your milk changing a little already, depending on what you eat and how much he needs to feed. We know that even if a mother fasts for 24 hours, the fat content of her breast milk will not change.
Although studies show milk production in terms of quantity will not be affected by fasting, prevention is better than cure right ? Since its still early Syaa'ban, I believe the we still have time to stockpile the EBM for our babies. Start now okeh!
Eat more fiber (Fiber)
- take foods high in fiber such as dates, oats and fruit / vegetables because it can reduce the acid in the stomach which can cause gastritis and heartburn.
Drink enough water
- 2 to 3 liters of good water is still needed. Therefore, between the time of breaking and dawn, try to drink as much water as possible . It is important to avoid dehydration during fasting. Avoid caffeine and carbonated drinks!
Enough protein and carbohydrates
- Protein sources such as meat, soy, dairy; and carbohydrates such as bread and rice should be sufficient for breast-feeding and fasting mommies.Those food will be converted as daily energy for body needs. Be sure to take minerals, vitamins and sugar -to meet the requirements of vitamins and minerals needed for proper functioning of the body system. Healthy sugar intake from fruit juice or glucose drinks during the break is a quick way to restore energy after fasting.
I would recommend to take NURICH Lacto-lite which can supply the probiotic and prepare our stomach for this fasting season. More info of the product is HERE.
How NURICH Lacto-Lite can help you?
* Get rid of body toxins
* Promotes metabolism
* Promote the growth of good bacteria
* Helps to prevent indigestion
* Helps relieve constipation